Adding Members to Dimensions
Dimensions are composed of Detail and Aggregate member types. Detail members “add up” to Aggregate members. For example, in the Months dimension you would make January, February, March (all Detail members) add up to 1st Quarter (Aggregate member).
To add Members to a Dimension:
1. From the PowerOLAP ribbon, go to Model tab then in the Model control group select the Dimensions command.
You are returned to the Dimensions dialog box.
2. Select Months then click Edit button.
This brings up the Dimension Hierarchy dialog.
3. Select the Create New Member icon,
or right-click within the Member list box (on the left in the dialog box)
and select New.
4. Type the <member name> over the currently highlighted text, e.g., type January over the highlighted text Untitled3).
5. Press Ctrl–Enter.
6. Type February in the Members text box and then press Ctrl–Enter.
The Member list box will appear as follows
7. Press Ctrl–Enter.
8. Type 1st Quarter in the Members text box and press Ctrl–Enter.
9. Type 2nd Quarter in the Members text box and press Ctrl–Enter.
10. Complete the Months dimension by adding 3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter and Total Year.
You can double click on a name, or use the right mouse button, to rename or delete a name in the Member list box.
If the Member names are not in the order you want, click and drag them to the desired position in the list.
Proceed to the next topic for the next step in Dimension design.